CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, April 16, 2009

I Need A Hero!


As a citizen on patrol, I've been known to call 911 a few times (a week). Today I learned a very valuable lesson when my dear friend Carrie was the one to call 911 which resulted in the 911 operator requesting her to do heart compressions on a homeless guy! Phew, that was a close one....that could've been me. That'll teach me to be so quick to dial 911.

In all seriousness though, Carrie was a hero today. Not only did she fearlessly jump into action as she was flagged down by a homeless guy (a scary situation for a single gal) and called 911 at his request, she also did 200 chest compressions until the paramedics finally arrived. It seemed like forever.

But Carrie wasn't done being the hero yet. Seeing that the victim's brother was very upset, she stepped up and helped to console him. And though she hates to touch people, she managed to rub his shoulder for 10 minutes to calm him down. A hero again.

A part that I'm leaving out is that when I happened on the scene, just 60 seconds after Carrie (we had been shopping together but driven separately; I was behind her on the road) the victim's coloring was so very poor and he laid lifeless. I seriously thought I was witnessing a spirit leaving a body. I've never seen a person die before (nor did I want to.) It was a very surreal moment and I just couldn't believe it was happening.

I don't know if Carrie was praying as hard as I was but I KNOW that Heavenly Father heard my prayers and blessed Carrie to follow through with what she'd been tasked to do. I know He blessed that man to start breathing again and regain consciousness. A miracle.

By the time the paramedics arrived, the victim was breathing again; his color was a shade better but he was still a very sick man.

All in all, Carrie was a good example to me in her brave actions. I thank the Lord for allowing us to be there at the right time ....and for making Carrie a hero tonight.

2 comments:

Michelvis said...

That is a crazy story and yet I'm not surprised. Carrie is awesome and I'm sad we're losing her. I love that she's always in the right place in the right time.

JennJam said...

Amy, you witness more 'people being saved' and bizarre events (near carjacking, anyone?) than anyone I know!! :)

You never know what's gonna happen when The Ames is around. hee hee!