CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 22, 2009

My President

Its no secret that Obama was not my guy at election time but it turns out that no matter my opinion or my vote, he is my guy now.

As my president..

- I will respect him for the office that he holds but I will not follow him blindly.
- I will support the things he does that I believe to be right and good for our nation but I must question and discourage those things that I feel are wrong.
- I will pray for him.

As an American...

- I do respect Obama for rising above the culture and poverty he grew up in and the difficult family situation he was raised in to become the leader of the free world.
- I am touched that he is such a great father and husband.
- I am grateful that American has elected our first African American president and what that says about us.
- I vow that I will NOT follow the example of many liberal Americans of the last 8 years who hated, attacked, and totally disrespected a president 100% of the time SOLEY for being in a different party than them. Obama and I are bound to disagree on many things (he's a liberal democrat / I am a conservative), that is inevitable. Again, I will praise and support him on the issues that we connect on and even if we disagree 99.9%, I won't hate or disrespect him just for being a liberal.
- who voted against him, I hope that I voted wrong. I truly hope that Obama proves my hesitation about him to be completely unfounded.

God Bless America.

2 comments:

lizzo said...

Beautiful post Ames, I mean it. I hope you were wrong too and not just because it would mean that I was right but because I truly hope America can be healed.

JennJam said...

It's not the first four years I worry about . . . it's the potential for four more, where he wouldn't see himself as having much to 'lose.'
(Let's face it, the guy has the MOST liberal voting record in Congress, beating out both Kennedy and Clinton. Does 'middle of the road' sound likely to you in years 5-8?)

Wait, no . . . he wants Army field manual regs in place (!?!) . . . I *do* worry about the first four years . . . it's just, I guess I worry MORE about the next (hopefully not, but possible) four.

Here's how I look at it: I want to be like my favorite liberal, Juan Williams. (And I mean that sincerely, I do like him.) I don't agree with Juan on a LOT of things, but he *is* fair-minded and he is NOT an ideologue.
I enjoy hearing his commentary/arguments/banter . . .

I will *try* to be as fair-minded as Juan has been, while still holding my ground and staying true to my values, which are primarily what put me at odds with Obama in the first place.

But I don't want to withhold appreciation for 'the good' just for the sake of some kind of skewed 'loyalty' to "my party platform" (so to speak). That's what the past (at least) 6-years have been like, and to me, those "critics" (really, let's call a spade a spade, shall we? 'haters') lost credibility because they were more interested in being antagonistic, vile, and hateful than in being fair-minded like Juan and argue their points but also being willing to give credit when it's due as well.

Luckily for Obama (and for my own intentions to be a fair-minded conservative), my expectations are set pretty low. :)